One of the things I like most about Harry Potter movies is the trips they take to the interesting stores on Diagon Alley. The stores have charm and character. This is exactly how I feel about Bards Books, a locally owned bookstore on 7th Street and Osborn in mid-town Phoenix.
Sven Rosckowff, the owner of Bards Books, is a soft spoken and an avid reader… the latter being an important quality for a bookstore owner. He says his personal focus is on the classics and history, yet he knows much about much. When asked about what makes his store special he proudly talks about the feel of the place. I agree.
Bards Books opened its doors in 2008, yet feels like it has been around for decades. I’d call the the merchandising, organized clutter. The bookcases are tall and brimming, yet well ordered and easy to browse with a great selection. In addition to books, you’ll find a cozy reading room with couches and comfortable chairs between the stacks where you can kick back with a coffee and relax. Speaking of coffee, Urban Beans is right next door.
- Sells a wide variety of new and used books.
- Buys books for store credit.
- Open 7 Days a Week.
- Can special order any book you like.
- Offers monthly specials. (This month is buy 4 books and get one free)
- Welcomes you to bring in your own coffee and relax for a while. (Urban Bean is next door)
- You can host a meet-up group or small club meeting at the store… Call Sven for details
- The Bard likes doggies and other well mannered pets.
- Has a wonderful outdoor patio, weather permitting.
- Has an e-newsletter you can sign up for on the web site.
Buying Locally is important for our community. Therefore, I ask you to think before buying a book from an online bookseller next time you are in need. Take a trip to Bards Books, enjoy the specialness of a brick and mortar shop and buy your books from Sven. He even has an online bookstore for your convenience. All of us benefit when our dollars are kept in the local region.
Contact Information and Address for Bards Books:
3508 N 7th St, Phoenix, AZ 85014
Open Mon-Sat 10am-7pm; Sun 11am-6pm