It is that time again when people from all over the Valley come to downtown Phoenix to join in the Grand Avenue Festival 2013, now in its 5th year. This isn’t just any festival, this one celebrates an important part of Phoenix history and has lots of unique activities, food, music, people watching, historic tours, fashion shows and more.
The Grand Ave Merchants Association along with the City has been sproucing up Grand Ave to help make this year’s event extra special. Make sure and take a look at the artsy crosswalk to Roosevelt and Grand.
A Bit About The Grand Avenue Festival for 2013
First, lets thank the Grand Avenue Merchants Association (GAMA) for hosting this event and all the hard work involved. They love Grand Ave and do so much to make this a fun and educational event. Let’s look at some details:
- Date: Saturday, October 19th, 2013
- Time: Main Festival is from 11:00 am to 8:00 pm with an Aft3r Hours event from 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm.
- Parking: Lots of parking is available on Grand Avenue and the side streets.
- Transportation: It is mostly a walking and biking festival. Pedal Cab services will be available from Noon to 10:00 pm and are free… I’d give the person a nice gratuity though.
- Food & Drive: Grand Avenue is home to several restaurants and there will be a number of Food Trucks at the festival. (I hope the grilled cheese guys are there.)
Fun Stuff to do at The Grand Avenue Festival
- Adaptive Reuse Projects are part of any emerging downtown and Grand Ave has benefited by people willing to invest their hearts, souls and pocketbooks. These efforts have brought new vitality to many old buildings. Each year the festival celebrates adaptive reuse projects in the area with a tour of several historic commercial buildings. The tours are free and leave each hour from 9:00 am to noon. The guides are historic preservation gurus and have great stories to share. Definitely worth the time. The hourly tours leave from the OS Stapley Hardware Store at 747 Grand Ave and last about 2 hours. (I’ve been on two of these tours and loved them both.)
- The Hanging Gardens, Woven Fences & Trashy Sculptures are part of Grand Ave’s commitment to recycling and is great fun. There is a map available at the Festival Info Tables with directions to the various recycled art projects.
- Fashion Show featuring one of a kind jewelry fashion will happen from 5-6 pm at Gallery Marsiglia located at 1018 Grand.
- The Grand Ave Coffee, Cookies and Crafts Fair celebrates its 9th year. Just go to the Braggs Pie Factory parking lot between noon and five for the festivities.
- Music is a Must and there will be lots of it. Check with the info tables for more info on when and where.
- Outdoor Movies starting at 6:30 pm will be happening courtesy of No Festival Require and held in the Bragg’s parking lot.
For more information you can download the Festival Program here or go to the official Grand Avenue Festival Web Site here.
Hope to see you at the 2013 Grand Avenue Festival
The Urban Team at Realty Executives
connecting people to the perfect place for over 20 years