Located behind 5 Guys at 7th Avenue and McDowell Road, Vovomeena is a favorite local’s spot and owned by the same folks that have Tuck Shop on 12th Street. It has several things going for it:
- It’s a neighborhood spot, especially for FQ Story, Willo and Encanto-Palmcroft residents.
- The food is prepared from scratch.
- The Vovomeena menu has a great assortment of offerings not found in many restaurants.
- It is a cozy place with seating for about 50 people… thus intimate feeling.
- The décor feels inviting and warm.
- Decent parking, especially in the morning time.
- They are open on weekend morning too.
- BTW… Vovomeena is a Portuguese term of endearment for grandmother.
The menu has some interesting options including: Pain Perdu, a banana bread pudding french toast; Mexican Benedict, make with chorizzo; The BMOC… a sizeable pork chop served atop a waffle with apple-maple syrup. If you come in for lunch they add a few sandwich options to the mix. Just click on the menu picture to enlarge and view.
On the creative/unique side is their specialty Morning Moonshine coffee. This is a Japaneese cold-brew style coffee that we have not seen elsewhere. Here is a description from the gang at Vovomeena.
Proprietary mash bills (a fancy term for recipes) are used to create our Straight Up and Infused flavors. To truly appreciate our product, you should to consider it on your palate as you would whiskey or wine (as opposed to, say, ice cream). The flavor profiles infused by the mash ingredients impart subtle structure to the coffee. See below for a guide to understating our mash profiles:
- lemon / jalapeno: tart and refreshing acidity notes with an undertone of heat
- vanilla pod / cocoa nib: silkier, softer mouth-feel with residual sweetness
- green tea / mint: freshness imparted by the mint plays with the earthiness of tea
- star anise / cardamom: aspects of licorice combined with a floral spice combination
- orange peel / ginger: sweet citrus pairs well with the intensity of fresh ginger
- straight up: our foundation, Roastery of Cave Creek black-and-tan blend
We are fans of Vovomeena and consider it one of the best breakfast in downtown Phoenix. It gets strong ratings on Yelp, and Trip Adviser so we know we are not alone. If you are looking for things to do and other dining options in downtown Phoenix AZ, check our our 100 things to do in downtown Phoenix page.
Vovomeena Details and Hours of Operation:
1515 N 7th Ave, Suite 170. (Located behind 5 Guys Burgers just east of 7th Ave.)
Open Tuesday – Sunday from 6:30 am to 1:30 PM.
Gene Urban & Ron Urban
The Urban Team at Realty Executives
downtown and historic home specialists
connecting people to the perfect place for over 20 years