Do you own a historic home in the downtown Phoenix AZ area? Have you been thinking about doing some exterior work on your home? Have you heard there may be money from the City of Phoenix to help you with your project?
If you do own a historic home or property in downtown Phoenix and you are thinking about doing some work on the place then you will want to know about the Exterior Rehabilitation Assistance Program for Historic Homes. In a nutshell, the program may provide you 50/50 reimbursement for money you spend on home improvement projects. There are hoops to jump through though and not every project is given assistance.
What Type of Work Can Qualify for Assistance by the City of Phoenix:
— Eligible Improvements
All work performed must be exterior work, which results in the repair, improvement, reconstruction, maintenance or enhancement of the facades or exterior faces of the subject property. Eligible exterior work may include:
- Repair or replacement of a roof.
- Door and window replacement. Very specific guidelines on windows and doors though.
- Exterior wall or foundation repairs including masonry and stucco work.
- Rehabilitation/stabilization of porches and steps.
- Exterior woodwork/trim/cornice and parapet repairs.
- Historic outbuildings/carport rehabilitation
- Reversal of previous alterations that are deemed poor or inappropriate to the home/neighborhood.
- Rehab or reconstruction of original features based on documentation/evidence
- Demolition of non-historic additions. Yes, they reward you for removing sucky additions.
- Re-painting (only if component of an eligible repair)
- Structural rehabilitation/reinforcement Interior work may be eligible only if necessary to stabilize or structurally support the building’s historic exteriors.
What do I need to Do to Apply for Assistance?
You will need to submit an application for historic home rehabilitation assistance with the City of Phoenix Historic Preservation office. We suggest you first go down to the office and talk with one of the HP staff members. They can help you to prepare your application so it meets the guidelines and has a shot at acceptance. The office is on the 3rd floor of the City building at 200 W. Washington Street and you can call them at 602-261-8699.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SUBMIITING AN APPLICATON: The 2013 application deadline is noon on February 1st, 2013.
For more information about the Exterior Rehabilitation Assistance Program for Historic Homes visit the City of Phoenix’s Historic Preservation site at: http://phoenix.gov/pdd/historic/historicincentives/hprehab.html
We hope this information has been helpful. If you or someone you know is interested in buying or selling a historic property in the downtown, midtown or uptown regions of Phoenix, we would be honored to help. For more information about historic homes and districts in Phoenix, visit our historic info site: https://urbanconnectionrealty.com/historic-phoenix-homes-arizona/
Best to you,
Gene Urban & Ron Urban
The Urban Team at Realty Executives
connecting people to the perfect place for over 20 years